If we're going to develop a strategy of how we want to change the world, we should have some common understandings about what the current state of the world actually is. As progressives, radicals, or revolutionaries, many in our organization have similar, broad understandings of the state of the current moment. We hope that through this initial conversation, we can develop some real depth to our collective understanding of political, social, and economic moment that we are currently living. We also hope to identify some trends that we either hope to reverse or that may serve as opportunities for our political tendency.
Key Themes to Address:
- Economic inequality
- Climate Crisis
- Racial inequality and race relations
- War and imperialism
- State of the Left - locally, regionally, nationally, internationally
- State of Rochester and New York State
- Who is the opposition?
Suggested Readings and Videos:
We know that for us to have a real commitment to this conversation, we also need to commit ourselves to on-going learning. We hope that these writings and videos are not the end of the list, but the beginning. Share with us through the discussions your suggestions for readings!
On the importance of strategy:
On Economic Inequality:
On the State of the Left:
The State of the Right:
Meetings that will discuss the plan:
- Metro Justice Annual Meeting, January 30th: Introduction to process and small group discussions.
- Fireside Chat with President Young. March 8th, 6pm.
- February and March Council meetings. Notes of strategic planning discussion will be posted.
- Workshop on Wealth Inequality. March 22nd, 5pm.
- Conclusions will be posted as we arrive at them! By March 31st, this will include the written statement of Metro Justice's Analysis of the Moment.
- This conversation has concluded and it's written summary can be found here.