Campaign: Fast Food Workers Campaign, Rochester
Location: Rochester, NY
Background: One of the largest and most momentous organizing campaigns for low wage workers is currently underway across the country. As part of a national movement, thousands of fast food workers are standing up for “$15 and a Union.” For the past year fast food workers from McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, Burger King and more are standing up and fighting to have their voices heard. This campaign has been extremely successful in having worker stories front and center as they take on the 200 billion dollar fast food industry.
Main Function: To identify, recruit and develop fast food workers in the work place and greater community. This includes engaging workers at or near their work place, areas of public transit and the community.
- Candidates must be big picture focused, have the ability to be positive throughout various challenges faced
- Be proactive with troubleshooting and finding solutions. Candidates must have the ability to adapt in a rapidly changing campaign atmosphere.
- Candidates must have a strong work ethic and the ability to perform successfully in a cooperative team atmosphere
- Candidates must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to be strategic and creative is a must.
Other requirements or desired skills for the position include:
- 1-3 years of labor, political, or community organizing experience
- Commitment to social justice and worker’s rights required
- Spanish speaking capability is preferred.
- Some experience with member and/or leadership development and outreach
- Ability to engage and inspire people regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, language, class and/or experiences is required
- Must be flexible and willing to work early morning, evening, and weekend hours
- Must have a reliable car and valid driver’s license with proof of insurance
- Salaried employee that will work days and hours to meet the needs of the campaign.
- Required to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under emergency situations to meet deadlines.
- Field Organizers are frequently exposed to noise and a regular flow of people around the office and in campaign locations.
To apply please e-mail cover letter, resume, and references to Colin O'Malley, Organizing Director, by email at email@example.com. As a racial justice organization, people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.