Metro Justice seeks a full-time experienced Canvasser and volunteer coordinator for a three month project. Metro Justice will soon launch an issue-based voter engagement door-to-door canvass in and around the city of Rochester. The canvass will identify supporters of an increased minimum wage and equitable public school funding, encourage them to vote with those issues in mind, and build Metro Justice's membership. The Canvass Team Coordinator would work with a pool of Metro Justice volunteers to build a team of canvassers that regularly engage in outreach efforts throughout the city. If you have strong organizing experience, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
- Recruitment: Build a volunteer team of canvassers to talk to community about good jobs and good schools
- Volunteer Management: Train canvassing skills. Work with volunteers in both individual and group setting, with a particular eye towards developing leaders. Cultivate a welcoming and motivating atmosphere.
- Canvassing: Canvass in the field (including door knocking & high trafficking areas) across the 55th Senate District. Cut turf, and train volunteers in the field. Days/evenings, during the week and weekends.
- Events: Organize events that deal with living wage jobs and education.
- Administration: Carefully track and manage information received at the doors. Ensure data entry & quality control is done in an accurate and timely fashion.
Strong communication and motivational skills, work ethic, and desire for political change are essential. Candidates must be able to work within a team, have proven leadership ability and an orientation towards handling a lot of responsibility. Strong self-direction and the ability to take initiative are also necessary qualifications. Access to reliable transportation is a must. Previous field or canvassing experience is a plus, and may qualify candidates for additional leadership positions. Experience with VAN (Voter Access Network) is a plus.
Position are temporary through November 2014. Campaign hours will mean long work days with expected work on weekends and evenings.
Salary commensurate to experience.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with 'Canvass Coordinator' in the subject before August 29th.