Save the date!
We are the closest we have ever been to winning universal healthcare for all New Yorkers. We ask you to join us in Albany on Monday, June 7th at 9:30 AM sharp for our final push to win the New York Health Act THIS legislative session which ends on June 10.
Almost 7 years ago, the Campaign for New York Health formed to build a statewide movement to pass the New York Health Act which guarantees comprehensive public healthcare to all New Yorkers that live or work in New York State. With the New York Health Act, a predictable progressive tax on workers and employers will fund a comprehensive public health system that will mean every New Yorker, regardless of immigration status or ability to pay, will receive the care they need without paying skyrocketing premiums, deductibles, and copays.
This past March, primary sponsors of the NY Health Act -- Assemblymember Richard Gottfried and Senator Gustavo Rivera -- introduced the NY Health Act with MAJORITY SUPPORT in BOTH the NYS Assembly and Senate for the first time ever. It is power of the people that got us to the cusp of victory, and it will be the power of the people that push the NY Health Act over the finish line.
The Campaign for NY Health is planning a major statewide day of action in Albany on Monday, June 7th. We are calling on our partners from across the state to join us. Everyone will reach Albany by 9:30 AM and begin actions by 11:00 AM. We aim to end actions by 4 PM to return home.
Here’s what you need to know:
We will be riding a bus that picks up people in Rochester, Syracuse, and Utica. The route is:
- Rochester: meet at 4:45 AM at 1199SEIU Training and Upgrading Fund, 259 Monroe Avenue. You can leave your car in the parking lot in the back. Depart by 5 AM.
- Syracuse: meet at 6:20 AM at JC Penny at Destiny USA Mall, 9090 Destiny USA Drive. You can leave your car in the parking lot. Depart by 6:30 AM.
- Utica: meet at 7:10 AM at Verona Oneida Park & Ride I90 Exit 33. You can leave your car in the parking lot. Depart by 7:20.
- Reach Albany between 9 - 9:30 AM, including a stop or two for bathroom breaks.
- Bus will depart Albany at 4 PM to drop off at the same locations, going from Utica to Syracuse to Rochester.
- Food will also be provided! There will be a light breakfast of bagels and juice provided upon arrival in Albany. There will also be packaged lunches.
- Donate! Our fight for universal healthcare is only possible because of hundreds of grassroots supporters. We are currently looking for support to cover the cost of the bus. Many of you indicated that you would make a donation, and we appreciate that! To make a donation towards the bus, please click here.
If you have any questions, please email Mohini Sharma (Lead Organizer) at [email protected] or call her at 585-623-9633 and leave a message.
Looking forward to winning the New York Health Act with you!