- Full-time position for 2022, with potential to become a permanent position.
- Trained and supervised by the Organizing Director.
- Responsible for recruitment, leadership development, and coordination for the Rochester for Energy Democracy Campaign of Metro Justice and the New York Renews Legislative Platform.
- Paid bi-weekly.
- Starting salary is $37,440 plus a health care package; 20 days of paid time off; 3 personal days; and 10 paid sick days.
Who we are:
Metro Justice is a member-based and member-lead organization that has been fighting for racial, social, and economic justice since 1965. Metro Justice believes in organizing working class people to build mass movements that are capable of winning, and implementing, long-term structural change.
Summary of the campaign:
Rochester for Energy Democracy (RED) is Metro Justice’s campaign to replace Rochester Gas & Electric with a public, local, and democratic ratepayer cooperative. With a public utility, people will finally have affordable and fair rates, an accountable utility in which ratepayers have a say in how their dollars are used to benefit the community, a green energy mandate to transition to 100% renewable energy by 2040 to avert climate disaster, and more local union jobs.
Metro Justice is also a member of NY Renews: a statewide coalition dedicated to an equitable and rapid green transition. They passed the landmark Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA) that committed New York state to 100% renewable energy by 2040. Their current priority, the Climate and Community Investment Act, aims to put real funding behind meeting the targets set by the CLCPA. Metro Justice’s RED Campaign is a local example of what implementation of the CLCPA and CCIA looks like, and Metro Justice fully supports the passage of the CCIA.
- Meet recruitment and leadership development goals that are set by the Organizing Director and approved by the Metro Justice Council.
- Recruit a diverse base of impacted volunteers to the RED Campaign. Recruitment will involve but not be limited to: running and participating in canvasses, organizing events and teach-ins, follow-up calls, and one-on-ones with new sign-ups.
- Develop volunteer leadership within the RED Campaign through engaging in the campaign committee, training and supporting volunteers in roles, and supporting the RED Steering Committee.
- Collaborating with the RED Campaign Committee to organize strategically relevant public actions, including but not limited to: rallies, protests, marches, press conferences, and bill strikes. Public facing actions must connect the RED Campaign to the NY Renews Legislative Platform whenever possible, and the organizer will also support Metro Justice’s participation in NY Renews’ statewide mobilizations.
- Ability to work independently and problem solve.
- Volunteer or professional experience in community organizing is preferred.
- Passionate about Metro Justice’s political values and mission.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to build, coordinate, and work in teams.
- Ability to work flexible hours, with a mix of day time, evening hours, and weekend hours.
- Familiarity with GSuite and Nationbuilder or must be able to learn new software quickly after introductory training.
- Access to own vehicle or reliable transportation.
Applicants are to submit a cover letter and resume to Metro Justice Organizing Director, Mohini Sharma, at [email protected] by midnight on Friday, February 11th.